Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Turing a simple question into a "moment"


I love when a child that is in core phase peeks into the love of learning! Moments like these are what make being a mom, that has been given the stewardship (from her Heavenly Father) to educate her children in all realms of life, so rewarding and validating. I love my stewardship!

Today has been a busy day of a very busy week. Between the awards assemble, going to Buist with Austin, coming back for the talent show, picking up Maestin from scouts, and running a few errands I needed to make some cookies to take to some sisters, and a friend that just had a baby. So I was busy cooking, when my 5 year old Ruxton comes in excited because he knows what letter starts the word "soak" (why he picked that word I am not sure). I am loading the dish washer making cookies and he is so excited, and you know what I was excited for him. I really was. So, we started talking about the beginning sounds of a few more words. I said you know this is what reading is, words are made up of the letters that you already know! A big moment for him. It is amazing that when they are ready to get it they will, he has had the desire to read for a while but does not get it. He knows all the letter sounds but hasn't quite put it together. So with out pushing and just letting him move a long, he came up with it on his own. We proceeded to get a paper and write cat-bat- hat- He was so proud that he could hear every sound on his own and write it down. He was even more surprised to find that those three words not only rhyme but you only have to change the beginning sound. He was so proud he couldn't wait to show his ideal reader brother Maestin. And Maestin feed his ego so well. I am proud of you Ruxton. I hope that your love of learning continues to come out and ask questions more and more often so I can have "moments" with you! This is what being a mom is all about, I got to teach him his first experience with reading I have the memory not someone else.

No comments: