Thursday, May 6, 2010

!!Pine Wood Derby!!

Well what can I say about Pine Wood Derby? I am not going to say anything and wish you all well when that time comes for each of you. Austin was so great to be dedicated and work on Maestin's car for more than just the day before. It was good for Maestin to see and be a part of an effort that took research, reading, understanding, working, testing, and then an end result. I looked up the "Pine Wood Derby Bible", read it did not understand, and turned it over to Austin who would explain and then I would critique him on what he needed to be doing so it would be better! I guess I am a little competitive! Austin was great and Maestin was a great sport about it all.

Maestin before the race with the car ready to go! We had him primed to loose, we had no idea what we were doing so did not want him to have any false expectations.

Of course Grandma Price had to put the "flame" to the car, it looked so cool! We told him even if it was slow it would have the best paint job because Grandma is awesome. This is them discussing what Maestin wanted and how it all should look. Thanks Grandma, you are the best!This is the only picture of Austin that I got. That is actually one of the best pine wood derby car making dads, giving Austin a hard time. Austin is awesome!
Masetin during the race with the boys in our ward his age, Hayden Degn, Maestin, Davis Larsen they are all buddies.
So, you are asking what was the end result? Well to our complete surprise Maestin won! He raced against two troops and had the fastest car, he even had the fastest time of the night. We were floored. It was actually kind of funny with everyone else because we were first timers, and knew nothing. Davis Larsen took second. Maestin was stoked! He was a good sport through the entire race, offering high fives and good jobs to his fellow competitors, I was proud of him.
So as a result of winning, he had to race the next day at the district race, the top two of every troop raced against each other, there were twenty cars, this is him during that race.Just a picture of some of the cars Maestin is number 18 his was called T3!We were really surprised when he ended up fourth overall, he was really happy and had so much fun. Just for memories for Maestin, I want to add that that his car was one of only three that had a time of 2.4 seconds. It really did turn out to be a good experience, at first we were not too optimistic, because there is lot that goes into the car and a lot to it, but we all learned some valuable lessons, and hopefully each year Meastin can learn more, and eventually do it more by himself. Congratulations Maestin....and Austin.

2 comments:

Trev "N" Dez said...

Wow Great Job Maestin....and Austin!! That’s cool! I was thinking that Mom HAD to be involved somehow with this project! Just think by the time your kids are done with pine wood derby's you guys will be pro car makers!!

Fishin' Ponds said...

Yeah for Maestin!!! Oh yeah...and Austin...and I'm sure your "directing" was beneficial too. :) I too knew Mom must have done the painting...it's very much a "mom paint job". Which means it's awesome!

I'm very impressed. Dez is right...by the time Holdan gets to scouts you guys will be Pros!