I embarked on an adventure really about a year ago. Austin's cousin Kirk talked me into getting bees, I had asked him to bring his bees so I could get some honey and he said simply do your own. So it perked an interest in me and I went to the library and checked out a textbook really on bees. It was very intriguing. The boys were as interested as I was and each day they would ask me what I had learned about bees. Addlers' Kindergarten teacher even called me one evening to ask me if I was getting bees because Addler had shared some much information to the class about bees. I studied all winter and by spring I felt I was ready. I purchased two bee hives. My dad ended up buying one with me and it has been so fun to have bees with my dad. It has been fun and a huge learning experience for me. This was, I am told, a bad year for the bees because we had such a cold long spring. So I incidentally had one hive swarm for no reason what so ever, and my other hive has done so good. Just before the cold weather came me and dad had to combine his hive with my hive because they were too small to survive the winter on their own. That is a story in and of itself that puts a smile on my face when I think about it. The bees are put to bed for the winter and I did get some honey from my one strong hive. I feed most of it back to my week hive but we did get some, and I am proud of it as you can see. Interesting enough I have learned a lot of life lessons from the bees, they are very intelligent amazing insect and just to watch them is inspiring. I am grateful that Austin has supported me in another of my crazy ventures, but the whole family has enjoyed it!
My Honey!!!
I made scones and homemade bread to celebrated our harvested honey.
They were in heaven I was too.
I fixed a piece for all four boys, but before I could get a picture Addler and Ruxton had eaten... devoured them and were gone!
1 comment:
I thought this post was going to be about Austin!!! I want to hear the story about putting your bees together. I did not hear about it!
Post a Comment